For tempeh “fish”:
- 1 package tempeh
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup cornstarch
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 6 ounces seltzer (soda water)
- ½ tablespoon kelp flakes
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled, cut into wedges
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Cooking oil spray
For the tartar sauce:
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened pickle relish
- To make Tempeh “fish”: Cut the tempeh into 2 halves to get 2 big and thin rectangles.
- Cut each thin rectangle into 4 equal pieces, so you have 8 pieces in all.
- Add flour, garlic powder, Old Bay seasoning, baking powder, and chili powder into a bowl and stir. Stir in vinegar and seltzer. You should have a smooth batter, free from lumps.
- If you prefer chewy chips, do not steam the tempeh else steam for 5-6 minutes. This is to be done before cutting the tempeh.
- Add kelp flakes and cornstarch into another bowl and stir.
- Place a skillet over medium heat. Pour enough oil to cover 2 inches from the bottom of the pan. Let the oil heat. It should be well heated but not smoking.
- Coat the tempeh in the cornstarch mixture. Shake the pieces to drop off the extra mixture.
- Next, dip in the tempeh in the batter. If you prefer crunchy chips, then dredge again in the cornstarch mixture.
- Drop the tempeh pieces carefully in the hot oil — Fry in batches.
- When the tempeh is golden brown all over, remove with a slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with paper towels — season with salt.
- Meanwhile, place a baking sheet in an oven and preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Spread the potato wedges on the heated baking sheet, in a single layer. Do not overlap.
- Spray some cooking spray over the potatoes — Bake for 30-40 minutes or until cooked through inside and golden-brown outside.
- To make tartar sauce: Add all the ingredients for tartar sauce into a bowl and whisk well. Cover and set aside for a while for the flavors to set in.
- Serve hot with chips and tartar sauce