Craving a curry? Then this recipe is sure to get your mouth watering and your tummy rumbling.
Total Time: 9hours 25mins
• 10 ounces raw cashews
• 1 tsp salt
• 1-2 tbsp coconut oil
• ½ medium-size onion (peeled, chopped)
• 2 bay or curry leaves
• 2 tsp Sri Lankan curry powder
• ¼ tsp turmeric powder
• ½ tsp cayenne pepper
• ½ tsp sugar
• 1½ cups premium quality coconut milk
• 1 cup of frozen peas
• Salt (to season)
1. Add the cashews to a mixing bowl, and add sufficient room temperature, to cover.
2. Add 1 tsp of salt and mix well to dissolve. Cover the bowl and set aside to soak for 8-24 hours.
3. When you are ready to begin cooking, drain the cashews, and set to one side.
4. Over moderate heat, eat approximately 1-2 tbsp of coconut oil.
5. Add the onions and sauté until translucent.
6. Next, add the curry or bay leaves and sauté for 3 minutes, or until fragrant.
7. Stir in the cashews along with the curry powder, turmeric, cayenne, sugar, a pinch of salt and the coconut milk. Mix to incorporate.
8. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Make sure to check from time to time to ensure that there is sufficient liquid in the pan. Add additional water if necessary. Taste and season with salt, if needed.
9. The cashews are ready when they are al dente.
10. Add the peas along with additional water if the gravy appears too thick.
11. Cook until the peas are heated and cooked through and the gravy simmer, for approximately 10 minutes.
12. Serve with rice and enjoy.