This is another great recipe that you can make for any special occasion. It will please even the pickiest of eaters and will leave them wanting more of this dish.
Total Prep Time: 1 Hour
5 tsp. of Olive Oil, Evenly Divided
2 Cups of Red Onion, Chopped Finely
1 ½ Cups of Red Bell Pepper, Finely Chopped
1 Pound of Yellow Squash, Sliced Into ¼ Inch Slices
1 Tbsp. of Garlic, Minced
½ Cup of Quinoa, Cooked
½ Cup of Basil, Fresh, Slice Thinly and Evenly Divided
1 ½ tsp. of Thyme, Fresh and Chopped Coarsely
¾ tsp. of Salt, Evenly Divided
½ tsp. of Black Pepper, Ground
½ Cup of Milk, 2% Reduced Fat
3 Ounces of Parmesan Cheese, Shredded
3 Eggs, Large In Size and Beaten Lightly
Some Cooking Spray
1 ½ Ounces of French Bread, Fresh and Torn
1, 12 Ounce Tomato, Beefsteak Variety, Seeded and Cut into 8 Thin Slices
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. While your oven heats up take out a large sized skillet over medium to high heat. Add in half of your oil and add in your onion. Sauté for about 3 minutes before adding in your bell pepper. Cook for an additional 2 minutes then add in your garlic and squash to sauté for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat and spoon this mixture into a bowl.
2. In this bowl add in your quinoa, thyme, salt, pepper and basil and stir until all of the ingredients are combined thoroughly.
3. In a separate mixing bowl add in your salt, eggs, cheese and milt and stir with a whisk to combine evenly. Add in your veggie mixture and stir again to combine everything. Take out a medium sized baking dish and grease with some cooking spray. Spoon in your milk and veggie mixture into your dish.
4. Using a food processor pulse your French bread until you have coarse bread crumbs. Using your skillet with some olive oil, pour your breadcrumbs into it and cook for about 3 minutes or until the crumbs are lightly toasted.
5. Arrange your tomato slices on your dish and finally top with your toasted breadcrumbs. Place into your oven and bake for 40 minutes or until the top of your dish is lightly browned. Remove from oven and top with some more basil. Serve while still piping hot.